In many ways 2021 has been as tough as 2020, with the shockwaves of Covid_19 continuing to impact everyone’s daily lives, undermining our sense of stability and ability to plan for the future.
For parents it has been an especially worrying time, as we try to navigate the various obstacles life has thrown at us, all the while anticipating – and, where possible, mitigating – the impact the pandemic has had on our children.
In many cases this has meant – quite rightly – extra energy being invested in our children’s wellbeing. However, this has also made it harder to focus on our own wellbeing and life goals.
Fortunately, the new year is right around the corner, bringing with it much-needed new energy and an opportunity to reset the balance.
Here are five ways you can start 2022 with a positive mindset and get back on track with achieving your goals:
1. Celebrate your Successes – Make a list of all the positive things you have achieved in the past year despite the challenges you have faced. Stick the list on the fridge and feel proud every time you open the door! You are amazing!
2. Find a Cheerleader and reciprocate – Ask a good friend to write down three things about you/your friendship that they are grateful for and do the same for them. Stick this on the fridge next to your achievement list! See? You really ARE amazing!
3. Be Kinder to yourself and others – Watch out for Performance Inhibiting Thoughts (PITs), the voice that tells you that you “should” do a certain thing or be a certain way. Watch the way you speak to yourself and to others and try to do it more gently and considerately. Treat yourself as a friend and not an enemy – try replacing “shoulds” with “coulds” and see how it makes you feel.
4. Protect your Boundaries – Consider the things and people that give you energy and purpose, vs. the ones that drain you and leave you feeling flat and/or overwhelmed. Make a promise to yourself that this year you will put appropriate boundaries in place to keep the negative energy at bay and allow the positive energy to flourish.
5. Commit to Action – All goals can seem overwhelming when taken as a whole. But once you begin to the break them down into tangible steps, they begin to feel more realistic and achievable. If you feel that you need help to put the necessary steps in place to achieve your goals, consider whether coaching could be right for you. It provides a safe and supportive space to reflect on what you need and how to get it. Why not invest in you in 2022? I have some spaces left for 1-2-1s starting in January, so if this does appeal get in touch.
Wishing you a happy and transformative 2022!